Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Victorian Chocolate Sponge Cake


A few weeks ago I cooked this lovely Victorian Chocolate Sponge cake from a recipe I found in the latest The Simple Things magazine.

 
It was so easy in that all the cake ingredients were just thrown in a bowl and mixed, then thrown in the oven. The icing was a little fiddly (used 2 saucepans!) and perhaps not completely necessary, but looks nice in pics, so I suppose that's important :)


It is a recipe I will have to make again soon. In fact, it's Lyn's birthday next week and he loved it, so it might make a good birthday cake.

As you can see, I had a bit of fun styling these photos  a la "What Katie Ate" style and I'm pleased with the results. I quite like this 'styling' caper, it's a lot of fun.
Hmm, not sure I can wait a whole week until I eat this cake again...
I hope your week is going well.
xx

11 comments:

  1. The styling is gorgeous Sarah and the cake looks divine, I can't believe it's easy! Would love the recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwww !! great styling...delicious cake !!.....love Ria...xxx..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my gosh! That looks fabulous!! I'd love to get the recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks so decadent! I love the pictures :-)

      Delete
  5. Hello Sarah!
    Popping in from the BYW forum - so lovely meet you!
    Oh, you did such a great job on the photo styling, very Katie Davies! :) I have to get myself a copy of The Simple Things - mind sharing which one it is? I just MUST make this cake!
    Hugs,
    Nancy
    http://www.thismakesmehappy.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you're tormenting me again Sarah, and I think the styling is just brilliant. Recipe please please please. I love cakes that are all thrown together. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The styling helps, the chockiness of the cake looks brilliant on the blue plate! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photos are magizine quality!! The cake looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pictures and the cake, of course. A victorian cake goes so well while watching Downton Abbey, right? Even if it's not set in the victorian era, who cares, let's not be too picky about history. As long as there is cake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You clever minx, Sarah. We must have a high tea to ourselves one day and serve this! Your photos are so sublime. You need to shoot a book! J x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you - your lovely comments make my day!